Thursday, October 8

Trip to New York, 1974

Stephanie's comments about the difficulty and expense of taking a family of four to Paris got me thinking and trying to remember what made vacations to big cities interesting to me when I was a little kid (i.e. under 10) in the seventies. In particular, I remembered a trip to New York and Washington D.C. that my family took in the summer of 1974, when I was eight years old. We drove to my grandmother's apartment in Charleston, West Virginia, and then took the train up to DC and then to New York (if I remember correctly). Here are the details that I remember about "The Big Apple":
Seeing The Magic Show on (or off?) Broadway, starring Doug Henning, and buying a box of Jordan Almonds at the theatre.
Getting a cheap (under $5.00) set of four reproduction movie posters from a book store: King Kong, Dracula (both went up on my bedroom wall at home--they were both very important entities to me), Frankenstein (given to my best friend as a trip souvenir) and Gone With the Wind (discarded, of course).
Going to FAO Schwarz (didn't get anything, but saw how the other half lived) before it was a national chain.
Got an issue of Shazam! comics that I had missed, at some Times Square magazine shop that sold back issues (exactly what kind of store it was is a little unclear to me, but I was very pleased to get my comic)

Having chocolate cake and ginger ale at the museum (Metropolitan, I think)
Zum Zum restaurant (in the Pan Am building, but I don't remember that detail)

Most of our family trips weren't that exciting, and they all involved long stretches of time in the car, since I didn't fly until a few years later, and then flew all the time, solo, after my parents' divorce...

This button is like the Mark of Cain*--it means you are an unaccompanied minor, and will be held prisoner in a 'hospitality room' at the airport between connections. After a couple of trips like this, I managed to emancipate myself, at least while traveling.

*or an albatross around your neck, or a scarlet A...

    6 comments:

    1. Wow, that sounds like a fun trip for Lil' Guy!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Sounds like a great trip! I'm impressed that you remember so many details. I also saw that Doug Henning show! I think it was my first Broadway show (it was either that or The Pirates of Penzance, starring Kevin Kline, Rex Smith and Linda Ronstadt).

      Here's a little-known fact about me (not that you asked, but your post made me think of it): I was born in Charleston, WV. It's kind of weird because I have no memory of ever having been there and feel absolutely no connection to it.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Wow, I didn't know about that button!! Interesting!

      I like your new photo heading too. :D

      ReplyDelete
    4. I'm starting to feel cheated about not having seen that Doug Henning show...clearly, that was the show to see!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Well, it was either that or "Oh, Calcutta!".

      Stephanie, you didn't miss much in Charleston. My favorite part about it is that there's a town called Nitro nearby. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitro,_West_Virginia

      ReplyDelete

    Comments