Monday, March 8

Sex Kittens Go Crazy

I just "won" a movie poster from Ebay from a relatively unknown fifties movie starring a minor actress/pin-up model from the time. This starlet was never thought of as a great actress, but is fondly remembered for being in movies where she screamed and helped fight against a giant spider, a giant scorpion, and a giant flying turkey. (really)

After I'd already paid for it, I got an email from Ebay saying that the listing had been removed due to it either 'not fitting their guidelines' or violating copyright laws. I found this weird and emailed the seller to ask what was up, and he replied that he would send me the poster and said "[former starlet] has no legal right to stop this sale".

Apparently she (or some family member) has gotten the idea that any old poster or image with her photo on it (even an old poster from 50 years ago) is her intellectual property. Now, this isn't true, because then no one could ever sell any old photo or poster or magazine with anyone's picture on it. However, she's got her own website, where she sells autographed photos of herself, and has probably gotten a little greedy. I think this is one of those cases of 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing', or at least a semi-dangerous thing.

One final funny detail--the main picture on the poster is a painting of a girl in a scuba mask--it's not even a recognizable photo of [redacted]!

p.s. It wasn't Debra Paget.

p.p.s. I checked my old emails and saw she did the same thing when I tried to buy the same poster last May! At the time, I just thought the seller flaked out...and since I hadn't gotten to pay for it yet, I had no motivation to pursue the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments