Monday, March 1

Who knew...?

...That J. Peterman was still in business? I thought they'd gone under 10 years ago or so. Same old catalogue descriptions, too:

Hemingway's Cap.
The seaman.

He probably bought his in a gas station on
the road to Ketchum, next to the cash register, among the beef jerky wrapped in cellophane. Or maybe in a tackle shop in Key West.

I had to go to some trouble to have this one made for you and me but it had to be done. The long bill, longer than I, at least, ever saw before, makes sense. Hemingway's Cap

The visor: deerskin; soft and glareless and unaffected by repeated rain squalls. The color: same as strong scalding espresso, lemon peel on the side, somewhere in the mountains in the north of Italy.

Ten-ounce cotton-duck canvas. 6 brass grommets for ventilation. Elastic at back to keep this treasure from blowing off your head and into the trees.

Hemingway's Cap (No. 1537). Sizes: M, L, XL. Price: $39.

(He probably got change from a five when he bought the original.)

[this is not a paid ad--I'm just saving you the trouble of clicking on the link]

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. Espresso with lemon peel.

    I was just thinking about J Peterman the other day; I bet in 10 years or so the old print catalogs will start showing up in "vintage" stores alongside the 10 P.M. Cookbooks and Life magazines.

    I know, I know: I never should have recycled those Spys.

    ReplyDelete

Comments