Sunday, May 16

Half Pint Dimpled Pot/Scarlet Ribbons

Since I was a kid, I've been very been extremely specific in my likes and dislikes. "Specificity" is one of my core traits. My mom has often referred to various "scarlet ribbons" quests she's had to do on my behalf, due to me knowing exactly what I want, even as a child. ("Scarlet Ribbons" was a popular song from the fifties. Description: Written by Jack Segal and Evelyn Danzil in 1949, this song is about a father searching the town for a ribbon for his daughter's hair. In the song, a father hears his daughter praying for a ribbon, searches for one, can't find any, comes home and sees a ribbon laying on her bed.)

One of my current quests is for the elusive British half pint 'dimpled mug (or pot)'. It's a smaller version of the familiar British beer mug, as seen in Irish bars and the occasional micro-pub. I've become fascinated with these from seeing them portrayed in various 60s and 70s TV shows from England that I've watched. The half-pint is typically the beer that women would order (due to a smaller drinking capacity -- at least in theory), or the size you might order if you were just stopping off briefly in the middle of your work day. The latter idea fascinates me, since I think it's still acceptable in the UK, though verboten here in the U.S.

I'm searching for a small set of these, but they're difficult to track down. The typical American beer enthusiast isn't really interested in drinking ' a half', so they've never caught on here, even among fans of 'authenticity'.

2 comments:

  1. drinking halfs gets you drunk quicker. don't belive then me try it. I'd love a couple of these myself but both the half and full pint "dimpled" glasses arnt made any more and are hard to get hold of

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-4-Traditional-Glass-Half-Pint-Tankards-Dimpled-CE-/220768368977

    ReplyDelete

Comments