Friday, July 16

Snob Toys of My Youth

As a vaguely Anglophilic and pretentious child, I was drawn to the upscale imported toys I'd see behind the glass case of the toy store in the town where I grew up. Here are some of the ones I found appealing:

Corgi cars. These were a natural, since they licensed retro sixties favorites James Bond, Batman, and the Saint (among others that I didn't have). The Bond and Batman stuff is still around, and very well-known, but I also had (and later lost) these:

The Saint's (aka Roger Moore's) Volvo P1800:
On the show, he doesn't have his famous logo painted on the hood

A Land Rover from Daktari, a show I never saw:
Note 'Clarence, the Cross-Eyed Lion'

There were also various other non-licensed things, like a London taxi, etc.

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments