Monday, November 15

Green-o

Isn't this a lovely tie?  It's a mid-sixties Brooks Brothers green paisley number just under 3 inches in width.  I've been on a paisley kick lately, so I've been picking them up cheap on Ebay.  Green is one of the most elusive tie colors, which makes this one extra-interesting.  I haven't bid on this one, since it's above my target price (which is around ten bucks).  For some reason, the seller has categorized it as "1950 50S Rockabilly Skinny", which is not accurate.

Visually, it speaks to me of an era where a guy would naturally wear a tie on ordinary occasions, but wants to show that he's a hip dude, so it's an unusually-colored groovy pattern.  This same guy might also be sporting some modest sideburns to show that he's not uptight (even if he is).  It's a perfect moment in time--attuned to cultural changes, but not fully given in to the slobby excess of the seventies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments