Friday, December 3

Potlucks and Me

You may think it un-American of me, but I really don't like potluck dinners or parties.  We're now in the holiday potluck season, and I'm doing my best to dodge attending any.

Here's why I avoid them:
  • I don't want to eat food that other people have made, unless I know it's going to be good.  I have friends who are good cooks, and I'm very happy to eat anything they will give me.  I like anything that Beebo prepares, and I like food that I (rarely) cook.  I really like eating at restaurants and taverns.  But I don't really like eating food that someone in the office made.  Baked goods are fine, but I don't want any casserole or anyone's 'great tabbouleh'.   There's something kind of icky about it for me, since I'm a picky eater.
  • I don't like eating at parties, sitting on a couch or standing with a paper plate in my hand.  Eating and hobnobbing don't mix for me.  
  • I don't like being expected to provide food for a work party.  I think it's weird that non-private sector employers feel comfortable expecting employees to provide for food for a a party that's supposed to be a treat for them (it's usually a different story if you work for some commercial enterprise).  Especially if it's a party that happens after work hours!  I appreciate that there's not really free money floating around when you work for a non-profit or a university/state office, but it kind of sucks the fun out of it.  Even worse is if you work in an office that expects you to pony up money for a work party (it happens)!
  • In general, I think that if you send out a party invitation, the invitee should be welcome to show up empty-handed without fear of judgment.  I think bringing a bottle of wine or some special thing you've whipped up or purchased is a cool and appropriate reaction, but if there's a price of admission...it's not really a party. [Exception: parties given by young, poor people are always BYOB]
  • Since I don't drive, it's a pain to schlep food to a party.  Pot lucks are for people who have cars!  And after the party, you always have to schlep some crusty serving dish home.  Ecch!  Worse, there's often pressure to help clean up after the 'party', so you have to deal with all the dishes you didn't want to eat in the first place.
Summary (for people in a hurry): 1. I don't like potluck food 2. I think cheap-o office parties are lame.

    2 comments:

    1. Admit it, this is really about your aversion to carrying things.

      ReplyDelete
    2. You have a point there! And potlucks are *all about* carrying things that aren't amenable to carrying. The only item I don't mind carrying is a small book.

      ReplyDelete

    Comments