Wednesday, June 1

Foulard knots his foulard

How does Foulard tie his tie?  I know you've been wondering just how he does it.  Well, here's the knot I use most often--The Shelby (or Pratt) :
It gives you a neat, symmetrical, tidy knot, with a minimum of effort.  I found it years ago, and have pretty much stuck to it.  I make an exception with some vintage ties I own, because they're shorter than 2011-era ties.  For those, I use the classic four-in-hand.

I wear ties with a width between 2.5 and 3.25 inches, but 2.75 or 3 inches is the ideal width.  I like the point of the tie's blade to go just over my belt buckle, but not too far, because I think over-long ties look even worse than over-short ones.

I have a couple of tie bars--a shorter and longer one.  The one I use depends on the width of the tie.  Sometimes I'll use a binder clip from the office as a secret behind-the-tie way of clipping it to my shirt's placket, if I don't want to be so flashy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments