Wednesday, March 31

The Horrible Angostura Bitters Shortage of 2010

I thought it was just a neighborhood thing where I live but it's sadly true--there has been a worldwide Angostura Bitters shortage. I've never encountered such a thing in my 20 years of buying this product. I haven't had any at home in a couple of months, since my last bottle ran out. For a long time, I though I was just having bad shopping luck, and I've been relying on my back-up bottle of Fee's Bitters*, but they're just not the same.

With any luck, our long national nightmare will end soon, and we can all go back to being civilized mixologists and imbibers.

*They have an "Old-Fashioned Bitters" that's close, but no cigar. However, they are the source for the formerly elusive Orange Bitters and Mint Bitters. And to make a Sazerac, you need to get yourself some Peychaud's Bitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments