Tuesday, May 4

Stores of Ennui

What is it about Bed, Bath and Beyond that fills me with such ennui and dread? I know, I know--it's boring, that's what. But I like buying things to fix up the apartment. Beebo and I live in a smallish place, so I see it as a challenge to fix it up in such a way that it can be the most efficient "machine for living" possible.

I love going to Ikea, and trying to figure out if there's a place for some odd bit of furnitire and storage. I also enjoy a good hardware store, even though I don't have the kind of living situation where I can use 90% of its products. But BBB has such a horrible mediocrity. There's so much plastic, and so many bland, washed-out colors. It also abounds with EZ-2-Assemble furniture, like wobbly fold-out bookcases, over-the-door hangers, and a million suction-cup based bathroom items--the kind of stuff that says "I'm just here temporarily, and also I can't put anything together competently".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments