Thursday, May 6

How not to advertise an apartment

Beebo and I (mostly I) are casually looking for a newer, larger apartment, so I'm trawling through Craigslist every day. I've gotten to be an astute critic of these ads, and am constantly surprised by the minimal descriptions and/or dreary pictures that I find.

A running theme that I've noticed is 'a picture of the kitchen with a mop propped up in the corner'. I can just see how the mise-en-scene comes about: the landlord/manager works on cleaning out the kitchen to make it look decent, but then can't bear to go that extra inch to remove the mop before they snap the kitchen's portrait. The photographer of the picture on the right couldn't even be bothered to go that far--apparently this is before (or instead of) the kitchen cleaning.

Now here's an example of extreme penury in photographic representation. Description of the apartment:
* Bright and airy Floorplan * Modern Kitchen With Dishwasher * Lots of Closet space * Large Bedrooms * Built In Book Shelves* Full Bath * Cats Welcome * Huge Lanai with views of the space needle * Laundry On Site * Parking Available * Free Storage Space* Cats Are Welcome With One Time Fee * Close to All....

Hey, sounds nice! Here's the sole accompanying photo:

I guess we're just supposed to use our imagination for the rest...?

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, GREAT header!! And I love the background too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments