Wednesday, July 7

Keep your eyes peeled!

I've owned a sofa-sized, framed mid-century print called 'Metropolis by Night' for about 14 years. It's by an artist named 'Rico'. For a brief period around 2002-2004, I didn't own it, but a friend of mine, coincidentally also named Rico, had possession of it. Once Beebo and I took it back, we remembered how much we liked it.

I got it for $2.00 at a church rummage sale on a coffee break while I was at work--it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It looks like the kind of painting you see in the background of an apartment or office in a Technicolor™ CinemaScope™ movie of the 50s or 60s.

The other one!

Just today, I've made a shocking discovery--there is a companion painting called 'Metropolis by Day'! I feel like I must have it! Unfortunately, the place where I saw it online is asking $399, which is absurd, no matter how much I like it. If you see it somewhere for under $20, will you grab it for me?

7 comments:

  1. i have the day one, paid 10 bux, saw the night one for a cpl hundred.. crazy world haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! i also have the "metropolis by day" my husband and i picked it up at a thrift store 9 years ago and it has been my favorite.i've never looked up a rico before and just looked at it and wanted to know more,i'm happy to hear there is a "metropolis by night".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have "Metropolis by Day" in my living room. Years ago, it hung in my parent's house where I grew up at in Washington, DC. I remember a friend of my mother gave it to her as a gift in 1972. I always looked at it as a painting of New York, but over the years San Francisco has settled in my mind as a reasonable choice. And yes, the word Bay influenced me with this decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought the day one at a thrift store as a display they gave me a I don't want to sale price of 150 bux but I liked it so much I said soled!!! So mine is worth 150 lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a metropolis by day for sale

    ReplyDelete
  6. The painting "Metropolis by Day" by Rico, actually appeared in the series the Sopranos owned by Junior. The irony of this discovery: you have a mobster who owns a painting by an artist whose name "Rico" is also an acronym of a statute mobsters fear. Lmao

    ReplyDelete

Comments