Thursday, September 30

Help me out here, people

I usually eat lunch at a hospital cafeteria right near my office, partly because it's a low-key place to read and eat and get away from work, and partly because I have a few choices for a lunch with a protein and two sides for six bucks.  This way I don't have to bring lunch in from home and eat at my desk or in the break room, and I don't have to go to one of the same few boring lunch places over and over again.  Also, this is when I try to eat my vegetables.



One thing that puzzles me, and I'm not getting any help from Google.  One cafeteria staple is the 'chicken quarter' -- a leg and thigh that have not been separated, and are served to you in one giant piece.  How exactly am I supposed to go about eating one of these big mothers?  I don't want to be all Henry VIII and pick it up and knaw on it, especially of it's some sort of messy tandoori-style preparation.  On the other hand, when I attempt to cut it up with a fork and knife, I can barely get enough off to feed a small child. 

Any ideas?  Is there a secret and civilized solution to this problem?  Or is it (as I suspect) just an easy and lazy way for the head chef to crank out a lot of substantial-looking entrees with extremely minimal effort?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments