Friday, August 28

Hallowe'en Approacheth

Next Tuesday means the official beginning of my observation of the Hallowe'en holiday. This means different things to different people--for some (in ever-dwindling numbers) it's going trick-or-treating or giving out candy to trick-or-treaters, for others it's getting a costume ready for the inevitably disappointing Hallowe'en party (and the 31st is on a Saturday this year!).

For me, it's time to watch old (pre-1970 or so) horror movies. I've been making a project of this officially for a few years now, so I've watched most of them (repeat plays don't count), and I'm down to the more obscure titles, or ones that for one reason or another hadn't hit DVD yet. Beebo usually joins me, unless the movies seem "too scary" for her.

I'm being very disciplined--no movies 'til Tuesday, then the Gates of Hell™ open. I plan to post a little recap of what I've watch over the next couple of months. As a preview, here are the types of horror movies I prefer, in general:
  • 1930s-1940s "classic" horror--Universal Studios dominated these, but also things like Val Lewton's RKO films.
  • 1950s-1970 Hammer Studios horror--my absolute favorite! (but I've seen/own almost all of these)
  • 1950s-1960s Other British horror (Amicus and other studios)
  • 1950s-1960s Other Euro-Horror, except movies that are just about a demented guy going around stabbing women, because I find those unpleasant and boring.
  • 1950s-1960s American B movies (especially Roger Corman's Poe pictures with Vincent Price)
Let the fun begin! Next week.

1 comment:

  1. I like all the pictures! Also: Gates of Hell, tm. Funny!

    ReplyDelete

Comments